- Afghanistan – COVID-19 entry regulations lifted on May 10, 2022
- Albania – COVID-19 entry regulations lifted on May 1, 2022
- Austria – COVID-19 entry regulations lifted on May 16, 2022
Mozart and Joseph Mohr (writer of “Silent Night”) were christened in the Salzburg Cathedral, an astonishingly brilliant white basilica with intricately carved and painted ceilings. Four organs are perched high on the pillars at the front of the cathedral. The deep, rich sound of the king of instruments fills the massive cathedral. You can’t help but draw your gaze upward to the sunlight and ornate dome above the altar. The hills, streets, and buildings are alive with the sound of music. Austria’s beauty will clear your mind and inspire your soul.
- Bahrain – COVID-19 entry regulations lifted on March 15, 2022
- Belgium – COVID-19 entry regulations lifted on May 23, 2022
Beer is a culture in Belgium all its own. So ingrained is beer in the mind of the Belgian the culture of making an appreciating beer has been inscribed as a UNESCO Intangible Cultural Heritage of Humanity. Almost 1,500 varieties of beer are produced in the country using diverse fermentation techniques. Yes, they have the best beer in the world. Sandwich in a glass, the Belgians say. Malty, bready beers with hints of spice and fruit pick you up and keep you going all day.
We can’t forget the earthy aroma of dark chocolate being fashioned into treats by chocolatiers and the warm smell of fresh waffles baking on the streets and in train stations—street food at its most simple and finest.
- Bosnia and Herzegovina – COVID-19 entry regulations lifted on May 27, 2022
- Bulgaria – COVID-19 entry regulations lifted on May 1, 2022
- Congo – COVID-19 entry regulations lifted on May 5, 2022
- Croatia – COVID-19 entry regulations lifted on May 1, 2022
- Cyprus – COVID-19 entry regulations lifted on June 1, 2022
- Denmark – COVID-19 entry regulations lifted on May 24, 2022
- Greece – COVID-19 entry regulations lifted on May 1, 2022
Of course, Greece is much more than food. A plethora of historical sites, varied landscapes of mountains, and gorges are yours to explore. And of course, the thousands of islands scattered through the Aegea Sea with their rugged, treeless landscape, and brilliant white buildings dotted with blue rooves appear as clouds in the sky. The complex, winding streets designed to confuse the pirates in days of old are like a labyrinth from Greek mythology. Sunsets of glorious reds, pinks, and oranges top off the day.
Greece is an incredible place to visit. Take your time and explore the small towns throughout the various regions. When you climb up the hill of Delphi, imagine the oracle’s voice whispering history’s deepest, darkest secrets.
- Italy – COVID-19 entry regulations lifted on June 1, 2022
Italy is full of mysterious and alluring hilltop medieval towns. Strolling the streets of ancient places such as San Gimignano (Tuscany’s town of fine towers), or Matera, (film locations for The Passion of the Christ and The Nativity), takes you to days of peasants, kings, and knights. Imagine how many feet have walked on the narrow cobblestone paths of the towering brick and stone walls of San Gimignano. What families lived in the caves buried far beneath the current town of Matera and penetrate the surrounding hills? Lay your hands on the stones and let their stories speak to you.
Italy is a storybook land complete with the rolling hills of Tuscany to the imposing and beautiful Dolomites. The cliffside towns along the Italian Riviera are ample with terraced gardens and views you will never forget. Waves crash into the cliffs below. Once you visit Italy, the sheer magnetism of the country will call you back.
- Kosovo (Rep) – COVID-19 entry regulations lifted on May 1, 2022
- Kuwait – COVID-19 entry regulations lifted on May 1, 2022
- Kyrgyzstan – COVID-19 entry regulations lifted on May 1, 2022
- Lithuania – COVID-19 entry regulations lifted on May 1, 2022
- Moldova – COVID-19 entry regulations lifted on May 3, 2022
- Oman – COVID-19 entry regulations lifted on May 22, 2022
- Serbia – COVID-19 entry regulations lifted on May 3, 2022
- Switzerland – COVID-19 entry regulations lifted on May 1, 2022
- Turkey – COVID-19 entry regulations lifted on June 1, 2022
- Vietnam – COVID-19 entry regulations lifted on May 15, 2022
By not being privy to the “science” your government officials are following, what questions arise from the explorer inside of you after reading this intriguing list? Do you wonder why them and not you? Be mindful and be prepared for anything and everything. Do you want to stay stranded at home with only your tv and phone for company? Weary souls in need of a strong dose of curiosity need something to shock them back into the land of the living. Start demanding your leaders be accountable. They need to quit listening to Beaker and Dr. Bunsen Honeydew for the mandates supposedly keeping you “safe”.
Charlotte Tweed is an adventurous soul with a goal to take you on a journey where you don’t just visit—you live it. Graduating with a Travel and Tourism Honours diploma, Charlotte is channeling all her passion and skills into writing for Escape Artist. She began her expat journey on June 15, 2021, and will be chronicling her expat roadmap weekly in the Escape Artist newsletter. Reading, writing, and planning her and her husband’s next expat destination in the world are how she fills her days. As a recently published author, her mission is to transform your life with expat travel—one destination, one adventure, one story at a time.